Health can, generally, be measured on three major parameters:
Physical health: The physical appearance of a person.
Psychological health: The ability in a person to maintain patience, calm and composure in all circumstances of life.
Nutritional health: The presence of essential nutrients in the body to fight diseases with immunity.
One should also spend time outdoors in the sun, inhaling fresh air and taking part in healthy activities. Staying active makes you stay energetic.
Out of the several components that affect one’s health, following are the seven key physical components to ensure the overall good health, fitness and mental well-being:
1. Cardiovascular/Aerobic Conditioning
2. Strength Training and Muscular Development
3. Stretching – Muscles, Ligaments and Tendons
4. Core Stability – Both physical and mental
5. Nutrition and Supplementation – Balanced Diet
6. Mental Rest and Relaxation – Balanced lifestyle
7. Sleep – Regular sleep
Top 10 Health Benefits of Basketball
- Burns calories : Running, jumping and quick lateral movements done in basketball provide a significant amount of aerobic exercise and can burn a great deal of calories..
- Great for cardiovascular health : Basketball can help you develop cardiovascular endurance, depending on how many times play stops. Keep moving and you’ll keep your heart rate up. Building endurance can help keep your heart healthy, reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke later in life.
- Develops concentration and self-discipline : Like every other sport, basketball has rules to follow, and breaking them can result in penalties not just for you, but for your team.
- Builds bone strength : Jumping and other physical demands of basketball help develop and improve bone health. The stronger your bones, the less likely they are to break.
- Better motor skills and coordination : Free-throw shooting and jump-shooting are particularly helpful for training hand-eye coordination. Rebounding missed shots is another skill that requires a great degree of full-body coordination. The third basic basketball skill, dribbling, requires a finer degree of coordination.
- Strength training : Basketball provides an excellent full-body workout and can help develop useful, lean muscle. In this physically intensive contact sport, basketball players are highly reliant on effective body positioning and the ability to maintain that position when an opponent is pushing against him.
- Improves spatial awareness : Spatial awareness is knowing where your body is in space and time.Ever wonder why a cat always lands on its feet? Body awareness. It helps keep you in balance.
- Mental development : Basketball requires a wide range of physical skills, but it is also a fast-paced mental game. During a fast-paced game, you must train yourself to constantly observe your teammates and opponents and evaluate what course of action to take in response to their actions. This can translate to helping you make quick decisions on the job and in other real-life situations.
- Reduces stress and boosts the immune system : Decreasing your stress will help you focus and have more energy to complete tasks.
- Enhances confidence : Basketball truly improves anyone’s confidence. Making good shots and being a part of a good team can increase your self-esteem and help gain more confidence